Replacing the AC compressor

6
6cuda6@gmail.com
Sat, Apr 2, 2022 2:18 PM

So whom has replaced their AC compressor? If you have, what did you put back in its place? Old style or new? If you put in the new style what else did
you need or have to modify etc....i think mine is toast and the "one who must be obeyed" said she isn't roasting again this summer during our tour.

Rich Mondor,

Brockville, ON

So whom has replaced their AC compressor? If you have, what did you put back in its place? Old style or new? If you put in the new style what else did you need or have to modify etc....i think mine is toast and the "one who must be obeyed" said she isn't roasting again this summer during our tour. -- Rich Mondor, Brockville, ON 77 Hughes 2600
KB
Ken Burton
Sat, Apr 2, 2022 3:49 PM

I used OEM style.  What is wrong with the old one?  If it is leaking, usually it is the front seal.  Replace the front seal, o-rings, vacuum, and
refill with Duracool.  20 to 25 PSI at 1500 rpm.  Do NOT overcharge the system with refrigerant (Duracool).  2.5 to 3 cans maximum.

Ken Burton - N9KB
76 Palm Beach
Hebron, Indiana

I used OEM style. What is wrong with the old one? If it is leaking, usually it is the front seal. Replace the front seal, o-rings, vacuum, and refill with Duracool. 20 to 25 PSI at 1500 rpm. Do NOT overcharge the system with refrigerant (Duracool). 2.5 to 3 cans maximum. -- Ken Burton - N9KB 76 Palm Beach Hebron, Indiana
DH
David Herbert
Sat, Apr 2, 2022 3:51 PM

I’m adding a under dash unit, will the OEM unit provide for both units?

On Sat, Apr 2, 2022 at 10:49 AM Ken Burton n9cv@comcast.net wrote:

I used OEM style.  What is wrong with the old one?  If it is leaking,
usually it is the front seal.  Replace the front seal, o-rings, vacuum, and
refill with Duracool.  20 to 25 PSI at 1500 rpm.  Do NOT overcharge the
system with refrigerant (Duracool).  2.5 to 3 cans maximum.

Ken Burton - N9KB
76 Palm Beach
Hebron, Indiana

GMCnet mailing list
Unsubscribe or Change List Options:

--
David Herbert

I’m adding a under dash unit, will the OEM unit provide for both units? On Sat, Apr 2, 2022 at 10:49 AM Ken Burton <n9cv@comcast.net> wrote: > I used OEM style. What is wrong with the old one? If it is leaking, > usually it is the front seal. Replace the front seal, o-rings, vacuum, and > refill with Duracool. 20 to 25 PSI at 1500 rpm. Do NOT overcharge the > system with refrigerant (Duracool). 2.5 to 3 cans maximum. > -- > Ken Burton - N9KB > 76 Palm Beach > Hebron, Indiana > _______________________________________________ > GMCnet mailing list > Unsubscribe or Change List Options: > -- *David Herbert*
SN
Scott Nutter
Sat, Apr 2, 2022 4:49 PM

I went with the new Sanden ac compressor. I ordered it from Applied as a whole kit. I’ve had no issues the last 5 years with it. No modifications
needed as it comes with new brackets. Now I can change valve cover gaskets on the right side without removing the AC brackets.
Scott

Scott Nutter
1978 Royale Center Kitchen, Patterson 455, switch pitch tranny, 3.21 final drive, Quad bags, Dave Lenzi super duty mid axle disc brakes, tankless
water heater, everything Lenzi. Alex Ferrera installed MSD Atomic EFI
Houston, Texas

I went with the new Sanden ac compressor. I ordered it from Applied as a whole kit. I’ve had no issues the last 5 years with it. No modifications needed as it comes with new brackets. Now I can change valve cover gaskets on the right side without removing the AC brackets. Scott -- Scott Nutter 1978 Royale Center Kitchen, Patterson 455, switch pitch tranny, 3.21 final drive, Quad bags, Dave Lenzi super duty mid axle disc brakes, tankless water heater, everything Lenzi. Alex Ferrera installed MSD Atomic EFI Houston, Texas
DH
David Herbert
Sat, Apr 2, 2022 6:32 PM

Good info. Should I change anything in the original Airconditioning/ box.
Ducts while I have it all apart to make it work better?

1974 Canyon Lands

On Sat, Apr 2, 2022 at 11:49 AM Scott Nutter winoscott88@gmail.com wrote:

I went with the new Sanden ac compressor. I ordered it from Applied as a
whole kit. I’ve had no issues the last 5 years with it. No modifications
needed as it comes with new brackets. Now I can change valve cover gaskets
on the right side without removing the AC brackets.
Scott

Scott Nutter
1978 Royale Center Kitchen, Patterson 455, switch pitch tranny, 3.21 final
drive, Quad bags, Dave Lenzi super duty mid axle disc brakes, tankless
water heater, everything Lenzi. Alex Ferrera installed MSD Atomic EFI
Houston, Texas

GMCnet mailing list
Unsubscribe or Change List Options:

--
David Herbert

Good info. Should I change anything in the original Airconditioning/ box. Ducts while I have it all apart to make it work better? 1974 Canyon Lands On Sat, Apr 2, 2022 at 11:49 AM Scott Nutter <winoscott88@gmail.com> wrote: > I went with the new Sanden ac compressor. I ordered it from Applied as a > whole kit. I’ve had no issues the last 5 years with it. No modifications > needed as it comes with new brackets. Now I can change valve cover gaskets > on the right side without removing the AC brackets. > Scott > -- > Scott Nutter > 1978 Royale Center Kitchen, Patterson 455, switch pitch tranny, 3.21 final > drive, Quad bags, Dave Lenzi super duty mid axle disc brakes, tankless > water heater, everything Lenzi. Alex Ferrera installed MSD Atomic EFI > Houston, Texas > _______________________________________________ > GMCnet mailing list > Unsubscribe or Change List Options: > -- *David Herbert*
6
6cuda6@gmail.com
Sat, Apr 2, 2022 6:43 PM

Ken, its not leaking actually after about 2 or 3 minutes or running it get very very noisy...it may have simply been overcharged so i'm going to drain
the system and refill it before i commit but i just want to be prepared in the worst case.

Rich Mondor,

Brockville, ON

Ken, its not leaking actually after about 2 or 3 minutes or running it get very very noisy...it may have simply been overcharged so i'm going to drain the system and refill it before i commit but i just want to be prepared in the worst case. -- Rich Mondor, Brockville, ON 77 Hughes 2600
6
6cuda6@gmail.com
Sat, Apr 2, 2022 6:45 PM

Scott Nutter wrote on Sat, 02 April 2022 12:49

I went with the new Sanden ac compressor. I ordered it from Applied as a whole kit. I’ve had no issues the last 5 years with it. No
modifications needed as it comes with new brackets. Now I can change valve cover gaskets on the right side without removing the AC brackets.
Scott

Scott i would love to support Jim at Applied more but the exchange and shipping just trashes any chance of doing such so i have to resort to everyones
knowledge and good old elbow grease/fabrication skills.

Rich Mondor,

Brockville, ON

Scott Nutter wrote on Sat, 02 April 2022 12:49 > I went with the new Sanden ac compressor. I ordered it from Applied as a whole kit. I’ve had no issues the last 5 years with it. No > modifications needed as it comes with new brackets. Now I can change valve cover gaskets on the right side without removing the AC brackets. > Scott Scott i would love to support Jim at Applied more but the exchange and shipping just trashes any chance of doing such so i have to resort to everyones knowledge and good old elbow grease/fabrication skills. -- Rich Mondor, Brockville, ON 77 Hughes 2600
JR
John R. Lebetski
Sat, Apr 2, 2022 7:14 PM

Noisy after running usually means improper charge.  Feel the suction line. It needs to be cold leaving the evaporator, but equally cold where it
enters the compressor to cool it.
I think the Sandens come in different BTUs but none match the Frigidair A6 BTUs.

John Lebetski
Woodstock, IL
77 Eleganza II

Noisy after running usually means improper charge. Feel the suction line. It needs to be cold leaving the evaporator, but equally cold where it enters the compressor to cool it. I think the Sandens come in different BTUs but none match the Frigidair A6 BTUs. -- John Lebetski Woodstock, IL 77 Eleganza II
CJV
Sat, Apr 2, 2022 8:24 PM

Now that the border is open again, we can have stuff sent to Rolla, ND. US shipping rates are CONSIDERABLY less than shipping to Canada. Then we just drop over the border, pick up the shipment and pay for the gas by buying a tankful, stateside. Duty at the border is usually less than charged by the carrier. Haven't yet figured out how to avoid exchange!

CJ Vermeulen, Scribbler

Scott Nutter wrote on Sat, 02 April 2022 12:49

I went with the new Sanden ac compressor. I ordered it from Applied as a whole kit. I’ve had no issues the last 5 years with it. No
modifications needed as it comes with new brackets. Now I can change valve cover gaskets on the right side without removing the AC brackets.
Scott

Scott i would love to support Jim at Applied more but the exchange and shipping just trashes any chance of doing such so i have to resort to everyones
knowledge and good old elbow grease/fabrication skills.

Rich Mondor,

Brockville, ON

GMCnet mailing list
Unsubscribe or Change List Options:

Now that the border is open again, we can have stuff sent to Rolla, ND. US shipping rates are CONSIDERABLY less than shipping to Canada. Then we just drop over the border, pick up the shipment and pay for the gas by buying a tankful, stateside. Duty at the border is usually less than charged by the carrier. Haven't yet figured out how to avoid exchange! CJ Vermeulen, Scribbler From: 6cuda6@gmail.com To: "gmclist" <gmclist@list.gmcnet.org> Sent: Saturday, April 2, 2022 1:45:29 PM Subject: [GMCnet] Re: Replacing the AC compressor Scott Nutter wrote on Sat, 02 April 2022 12:49 I went with the new Sanden ac compressor. I ordered it from Applied as a whole kit. I’ve had no issues the last 5 years with it. No modifications needed as it comes with new brackets. Now I can change valve cover gaskets on the right side without removing the AC brackets. Scott Scott i would love to support Jim at Applied more but the exchange and shipping just trashes any chance of doing such so i have to resort to everyones knowledge and good old elbow grease/fabrication skills. -- Rich Mondor, Brockville, ON 77 Hughes 2600 _______________________________________________ GMCnet mailing list Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
MC
Matt Colie
Sat, Apr 2, 2022 9:12 PM

Fortunately, we have JimK to get things right.
When my A6 was leaking badly, I tried try suppliers of Sanden and another that said they A6 bolt-in replacements.
None actually were, I finally got a hold of the friend that knew about resealing the A6.  Man, that thing is heavy.
Matt

Matt & Mary Colie - Chaumière -'73 Glacier 23 - Members GMCMI, GMCGL, GMCES
Electronically Controlled Quiet Engine Cooling Fan with OE Rear Drum Brakes with Applied Control Arms
SE Michigan - Near DTW - Twixt A2 and Detroit