View all threads

USB charge points

twlldeen@gmail.com
Tue, Jul 13, 2021 3:45 PM

Thinking of fitting some USB connections to charge my devices etc.

At the moment, doing it from the cig lighter with an adapter but it's getting pretty crowded/messy with loose cables. Plan is to install a group of
outlets near the salon table or close to kitchen on opposite side, maybe both.

Would it be best to use the starting battery or the house system for the power source? Right now, using the cig lighter on the dash, I believe the
starting battery is powering the adapter.

Larry

Larry - Victoria BC -

1977 Palm Beach 40,000 miles, PO said everything working but forgot the word NOT. New Atwood fridge, water heater & furnace. New SS exhaust system,
6000w Onan, Iota Converter, R134A A/C, New fuel lines & heat exchange hoses

Thinking of fitting some USB connections to charge my devices etc. At the moment, doing it from the cig lighter with an adapter but it's getting pretty crowded/messy with loose cables. Plan is to install a group of outlets near the salon table or close to kitchen on opposite side, maybe both. Would it be best to use the starting battery or the house system for the power source? Right now, using the cig lighter on the dash, I believe the starting battery is powering the adapter. Larry -- Larry - Victoria BC - 1977 Palm Beach 40,000 miles, PO said everything working but forgot the word NOT. New Atwood fridge, water heater & furnace. New SS exhaust system, 6000w Onan, Iota Converter, R134A A/C, New fuel lines & heat exchange hoses
JK
Jim Kanomata
Tue, Jul 13, 2021 4:14 PM

I find it best to use the Living area battery as it has the Deep Cycle
battery and less effected by drain.

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 8:46 AM twlldeen@gmail.com wrote:

Thinking of fitting some USB connections to charge my devices etc.

At the moment, doing it from the cig lighter with an adapter but it's
getting pretty crowded/messy with loose cables. Plan is to install a group
of
outlets near the salon table or close to kitchen on opposite side, maybe
both.

Would it be best to use the starting battery or the house system for the
power source? Right now, using the cig lighter on the dash, I believe the
starting battery is powering the adapter.

Larry

Larry - Victoria BC -

1977 Palm Beach 40,000 miles, PO said everything working but forgot the
word NOT. New Atwood fridge, water heater & furnace. New SS exhaust system,
6000w Onan, Iota Converter, R134A A/C, New fuel lines & heat exchange hoses

GMCnet mailing list
Unsubscribe or Change List Options:

--
Jim Kanomata ASE
Applied/GMC, Newark,CA

I find it best to use the Living area battery as it has the Deep Cycle battery and less effected by drain. On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 8:46 AM <twlldeen@gmail.com> wrote: > Thinking of fitting some USB connections to charge my devices etc. > > At the moment, doing it from the cig lighter with an adapter but it's > getting pretty crowded/messy with loose cables. Plan is to install a group > of > outlets near the salon table or close to kitchen on opposite side, maybe > both. > > Would it be best to use the starting battery or the house system for the > power source? Right now, using the cig lighter on the dash, I believe the > starting battery is powering the adapter. > > Larry > -- > Larry - Victoria BC - > > 1977 Palm Beach 40,000 miles, PO said everything working but forgot the > word NOT. New Atwood fridge, water heater & furnace. New SS exhaust system, > 6000w Onan, Iota Converter, R134A A/C, New fuel lines & heat exchange hoses > _______________________________________________ > GMCnet mailing list > Unsubscribe or Change List Options: > -- Jim Kanomata ASE Applied/GMC, Newark,CA jimk@appliedairfilters.com http://www.gmcrvparts.com 1-800-752-7502
twlldeen@gmail.com
Tue, Jul 13, 2021 4:52 PM

Thanks Jim, will go thataway.

Larry

Larry - Victoria BC -

1977 Palm Beach 40,000 miles, PO said everything working but forgot the word NOT. New Atwood fridge, water heater & furnace. New SS exhaust system,
6000w Onan, Iota Converter, R134A A/C, New fuel lines & heat exchange hoses

Thanks Jim, will go thataway. Larry -- Larry - Victoria BC - 1977 Palm Beach 40,000 miles, PO said everything working but forgot the word NOT. New Atwood fridge, water heater & furnace. New SS exhaust system, 6000w Onan, Iota Converter, R134A A/C, New fuel lines & heat exchange hoses
Rob
Tue, Jul 13, 2021 4:55 PM

I use ones like these (I the ones I bought don't appear to be available any longer):

https://www.amazon.ca/Electop-Charger-Cigarette-Function-Motorcycle/dp/B077MC3L3B/

The one in the back powers my 12V DC TV and Raspberry Pi Kodi video player! I have another near the kitchen counter for overnight charging duties.

Mine are connected to the coach system - I'd personally avoid any long term drain on the chassis battery...

Rob
76 Royale Twin Beds, Dry Bath
Victoria, BC

On Jul 13, 2021, at 8:45 AM, twlldeen@gmail.com twlldeen@gmail.com wrote:

Thinking of fitting some USB connections to charge my devices etc.

At the moment, doing it from the cig lighter with an adapter but it's getting pretty crowded/messy with loose cables. Plan is to install a group of
outlets near the salon table or close to kitchen on opposite side, maybe both.

Would it be best to use the starting battery or the house system for the power source? Right now, using the cig lighter on the dash, I believe the
starting battery is powering the adapter.

Larry

Larry - Victoria BC -

1977 Palm Beach 40,000 miles, PO said everything working but forgot the word NOT. New Atwood fridge, water heater & furnace. New SS exhaust system,
6000w Onan, Iota Converter, R134A A/C, New fuel lines & heat exchange hoses

I use ones *like* these (I the ones I bought don't appear to be available any longer): https://www.amazon.ca/Electop-Charger-Cigarette-Function-Motorcycle/dp/B077MC3L3B/ The one in the back powers my 12V DC TV and Raspberry Pi Kodi video player! I have another near the kitchen counter for overnight charging duties. Mine are connected to the coach system - I'd personally avoid any long term drain on the chassis battery... Rob 76 Royale Twin Beds, Dry Bath Victoria, BC > On Jul 13, 2021, at 8:45 AM, <twlldeen@gmail.com> <twlldeen@gmail.com> wrote: > > Thinking of fitting some USB connections to charge my devices etc. > > At the moment, doing it from the cig lighter with an adapter but it's getting pretty crowded/messy with loose cables. Plan is to install a group of > outlets near the salon table or close to kitchen on opposite side, maybe both. > > Would it be best to use the starting battery or the house system for the power source? Right now, using the cig lighter on the dash, I believe the > starting battery is powering the adapter. > > Larry > -- > Larry - Victoria BC - > > 1977 Palm Beach 40,000 miles, PO said everything working but forgot the word NOT. New Atwood fridge, water heater & furnace. New SS exhaust system, > 6000w Onan, Iota Converter, R134A A/C, New fuel lines & heat exchange hoses > _______________________________________________
twlldeen@gmail.com
Tue, Jul 13, 2021 5:30 PM

Hey thanks Rob, I'm looking at a similar unit on Amazon USB 3 though. Don't know if necessary ATM but may as well..... I figure for a couple of bucks
extra, why not eh?

Larry

Larry - Victoria BC -

1977 Palm Beach 40,000 miles, PO said everything working but forgot the word NOT. New Atwood fridge, water heater & furnace. New SS exhaust system,
6000w Onan, Iota Converter, R134A A/C, New fuel lines & heat exchange hoses

Hey thanks Rob, I'm looking at a similar unit on Amazon USB 3 though. Don't know if necessary ATM but may as well..... I figure for a couple of bucks extra, why not eh? Larry -- Larry - Victoria BC - 1977 Palm Beach 40,000 miles, PO said everything working but forgot the word NOT. New Atwood fridge, water heater & furnace. New SS exhaust system, 6000w Onan, Iota Converter, R134A A/C, New fuel lines & heat exchange hoses
Rob
Tue, Jul 13, 2021 6:02 PM

The current spec for USB 3 is only 900mA - considerably lower than the one I sent the link for.

More than likely - you are looking at 3.0A USB chargers (not to be confused with USB3)!

I've also seen some with digital voltmeter displays - kind of neat, but just another slow drain of power!

YMMV!

Rob
76 Royale Twin Beds, Dry Bath
Victoria, BC

On Jul 13, 2021, at 10:30 AM, twlldeen@gmail.com twlldeen@gmail.com wrote:

Hey thanks Rob, I'm looking at a similar unit on Amazon USB 3 though. Don't know if necessary ATM but may as well..... I figure for a couple of bucks
extra, why not eh?

Larry

Larry - Victoria BC -

1977 Palm Beach 40,000 miles, PO said everything working but forgot the word NOT. New Atwood fridge, water heater & furnace. New SS exhaust system,
6000w Onan, Iota Converter, R134A A/C, New fuel lines & heat exchange hoses

The current spec for USB 3 is *only* 900mA - considerably lower than the one I sent the link for. More than likely - you are looking at 3.0A USB chargers (not to be confused with USB3)! I've also seen some with digital voltmeter displays - kind of neat, but just another slow drain of power! YMMV! Rob 76 Royale Twin Beds, Dry Bath Victoria, BC > On Jul 13, 2021, at 10:30 AM, <twlldeen@gmail.com> <twlldeen@gmail.com> wrote: > > Hey thanks Rob, I'm looking at a similar unit on Amazon USB 3 though. Don't know if necessary ATM but may as well..... I figure for a couple of bucks > extra, why not eh? > > Larry > -- > Larry - Victoria BC - > > 1977 Palm Beach 40,000 miles, PO said everything working but forgot the word NOT. New Atwood fridge, water heater & furnace. New SS exhaust system, > 6000w Onan, Iota Converter, R134A A/C, New fuel lines & heat exchange hoses
KV
Keith V
Tue, Jul 13, 2021 6:29 PM

I looked at those but finally decided I need 110 also, So I now have 2 outlets and 2, 2.1A USB ports on my dash ( just below the glove box )
I have a 400w inverter with a remote power switch that this plug into.
This allows me to run my tablet for the WUD AND charge everything I want

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353333019755
[https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/NxMAAOSwFE5f6Gfb/s-l400.jpg]https://www.ebay.com/itm/353333019755
Furniture Recessed Power Strip, Recessed Desk Outlet with USB, In Conference 652054916112 | eBayhttps://www.ebay.com/itm/353333019755
Click here to see description.
www.ebay.com

[...]

I looked at those but finally decided I need 110 also, So I now have 2 outlets and 2, 2.1A USB ports on my dash ( just below the glove box ) I have a 400w inverter with a remote power switch that this plug into. This allows me to run my tablet for the WUD AND charge everything I want https://www.ebay.com/itm/353333019755 [https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/NxMAAOSwFE5f6Gfb/s-l400.jpg]<https://www.ebay.com/itm/353333019755> Furniture Recessed Power Strip, Recessed Desk Outlet with USB, In Conference 652054916112 | eBay<https://www.ebay.com/itm/353333019755> Click here to see description. www.ebay.com ________________________________ From: Rob <gmc@thebaileys.ca> Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2021 1:02 PM To: gmclist@list.gmcnet.org <gmclist@list.gmcnet.org> Subject: [GMCnet] Re: USB charge points The current spec for USB 3 is *only* 900mA - considerably lower than the one I sent the link for. More than likely - you are looking at 3.0A USB chargers (not to be confused with USB3)! I've also seen some with digital voltmeter displays - kind of neat, but just another slow drain of power! YMMV! Rob 76 Royale Twin Beds, Dry Bath Victoria, BC > On Jul 13, 2021, at 10:30 AM, <twlldeen@gmail.com> <twlldeen@gmail.com> wrote: > > Hey thanks Rob, I'm looking at a similar unit on Amazon USB 3 though. Don't know if necessary ATM but may as well..... I figure for a couple of bucks > extra, why not eh? > > Larry > -- > Larry - Victoria BC - > > 1977 Palm Beach 40,000 miles, PO said everything working but forgot the word NOT. New Atwood fridge, water heater & furnace. New SS exhaust system, > 6000w Onan, Iota Converter, R134A A/C, New fuel lines & heat exchange hoses _______________________________________________ GMCnet mailing list Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
Rob
Tue, Jul 13, 2021 6:39 PM

I had a great little Windows 10 tablet that ran off of 5V for WUD. But a MS Windows update killed it and I've never been able to get it running properly again...

So - I'll probably start looking for AC up front as well (right now I have a small 75W cigarette lighter inverter for occasional laptop/WUD use and larger 500W that I keep meaning to install, but really have very little requirement for).

Rob
76 Royale Twin Beds, Dry Bath
Victoria, BC

On Jul 13, 2021, at 11:29 AM, Keith V my427v8@hotmail.com wrote:

I looked at those but finally decided I need 110 also, So I now have 2 outlets and 2, 2.1A USB ports on my dash ( just below the glove box )
I have a 400w inverter with a remote power switch that this plug into.
This allows me to run my tablet for the WUD AND charge everything I want

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353333019755
[https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/NxMAAOSwFE5f6Gfb/s-l400.jpg]https://www.ebay.com/itm/353333019755
Furniture Recessed Power Strip, Recessed Desk Outlet with USB, In Conference 652054916112 | eBayhttps://www.ebay.com/itm/353333019755
Click here to see description.
www.ebay.com

I had a great little Windows 10 tablet that ran off of 5V for WUD. But a MS Windows update killed it and I've never been able to get it running properly again... So - I'll probably start looking for AC up front as well (right now I have a small 75W cigarette lighter inverter for occasional laptop/WUD use and larger 500W that I keep meaning to install, but really have very little requirement for). Rob 76 Royale Twin Beds, Dry Bath Victoria, BC > On Jul 13, 2021, at 11:29 AM, Keith V <my427v8@hotmail.com> wrote: > > I looked at those but finally decided I need 110 also, So I now have 2 outlets and 2, 2.1A USB ports on my dash ( just below the glove box ) > I have a 400w inverter with a remote power switch that this plug into. > This allows me to run my tablet for the WUD AND charge everything I want > > https://www.ebay.com/itm/353333019755 > [https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/NxMAAOSwFE5f6Gfb/s-l400.jpg]<https://www.ebay.com/itm/353333019755> > Furniture Recessed Power Strip, Recessed Desk Outlet with USB, In Conference 652054916112 | eBay<https://www.ebay.com/itm/353333019755> > Click here to see description. > www.ebay.com
KV
Keith V
Tue, Jul 13, 2021 7:22 PM

The biggest issue I had was this Dell Tablet required 20v from the USB 3 port. Hard to find that just lying around. So I have to use their 120v adapter
Otherwise I probably would have just used a normal 2 amp USB adapter

www.ebay.comhttp://www.ebay.com

GMCnet mailing list
Unsubscribe or Change List Options:

The biggest issue I had was this Dell Tablet required 20v from the USB 3 port. Hard to find that just lying around. So I have to use their 120v adapter Otherwise I probably would have just used a normal 2 amp USB adapter ________________________________ From: Rob <gmc@thebaileys.ca> Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2021 1:39 PM To: gmclist@list.gmcnet.org <gmclist@list.gmcnet.org> Subject: [GMCnet] Re: USB charge points I had a great little Windows 10 tablet that ran off of 5V for WUD. But a MS Windows update killed it and I've never been able to get it running properly again... So - I'll probably start looking for AC up front as well (right now I have a small 75W cigarette lighter inverter for occasional laptop/WUD use and larger 500W that I keep meaning to install, but really have very little requirement for). Rob 76 Royale Twin Beds, Dry Bath Victoria, BC > On Jul 13, 2021, at 11:29 AM, Keith V <my427v8@hotmail.com> wrote: > > I looked at those but finally decided I need 110 also, So I now have 2 outlets and 2, 2.1A USB ports on my dash ( just below the glove box ) > I have a 400w inverter with a remote power switch that this plug into. > This allows me to run my tablet for the WUD AND charge everything I want > > https://www.ebay.com/itm/353333019755 > [https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/NxMAAOSwFE5f6Gfb/s-l400.jpg]<https://www.ebay.com/itm/353333019755> > Furniture Recessed Power Strip, Recessed Desk Outlet with USB, In Conference 652054916112 | eBay<https://www.ebay.com/itm/353333019755> > Click here to see description. > www.ebay.com<http://www.ebay.com> _______________________________________________ GMCnet mailing list Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
twlldeen@gmail.com
Tue, Jul 13, 2021 9:26 PM

Well my windows 10 machine runs on a USB connection and it's also a dual boot android unit so I don't need anything more than 12v. It's a techlast
Tbook 11 from 2017, picked it up at the fleamarket for $40. Works well.
The USB socket I was looking at was this one:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07VT81PDX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_i_KYC4MGW0WVTASTXR54R2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Is it any good?

Larry - Victoria BC -

1977 Palm Beach 40,000 miles, PO said everything working but forgot the word NOT. New Atwood fridge, water heater & furnace. New SS exhaust system,
6000w Onan, Iota Converter, R134A A/C, New fuel lines & heat exchange hoses

Well my windows 10 machine runs on a USB connection and it's also a dual boot android unit so I don't need anything more than 12v. It's a techlast Tbook 11 from 2017, picked it up at the fleamarket for $40. Works well. The USB socket I was looking at was this one: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07VT81PDX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_i_KYC4MGW0WVTASTXR54R2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 Is it any good? -- Larry - Victoria BC - 1977 Palm Beach 40,000 miles, PO said everything working but forgot the word NOT. New Atwood fridge, water heater & furnace. New SS exhaust system, 6000w Onan, Iota Converter, R134A A/C, New fuel lines & heat exchange hoses