gmclist@list.gmcnet.org

GMC Motorhome Discussion List

View all threads

Considering all-terrain tires (Pro Comp)

Mark
Wed, Apr 6, 2022 9:43 PM

My Goodyear tires are WAY over-aged out (didn't realize how bad until I checked them last week - the "new ones" are coming on 9 years old).  Yikes.

I'm looking at all my options, and have seen all the usual suspects (Firestone Transforce, Cooper, Nokian, etc.).

Came across these (Pro Comp AT Sport), for the same money.

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/pro-comp-a-t-sport/p/26115

They're guaranteed for 60,000 miles (that's never gonna happen before they age out, of course, but is a good sign).  They are also guaranteed for life
against defects in material or workmanship, which is great.

The kicker here is that I've gotten into situations where my coach just didn't have enough traction, particularly in sandy areas where I've camped in
Mexico.  There are a host of great camping sites in Arizona that have at least a little dirt road in the approach, and I'm thinking that the extra
traction could only be a good thing.  There's no doubt they'd be better in really wet conditions, too (something that hasn't been an issue, living in
the desert, and hydroplaning on a 12,000 pound coach is not likely anyway I suppose).

Every review I've read about them praises them for being really quiet on the asphalt.  I know I just swapped out an old, hard set of Michelins on my
Jeep for a set of BF Goodrich All Terrains, and have to say they're really amazingly quiet (for an all-terrain tire, but really pretty good for ANY
tire).  I'm thinking that the extra mass of the GMC will only help isolate the inside from any tread-induced noise.

Six of these, mounted and balanced won't set me back much more than a grand.  Seems like a reasonable idea.

Thoughts?

--
Mark Hickey
Mesa, AZ

[...]
JR
John R. Lebetski
Wed, Apr 6, 2022 11:22 PM

They “look” like they would meet the criteria you stated.  Similar tread to Cooper AT3 in that the second and 4th row have sort of trapezoidal
blocks. Aggressive but quiet. I have AT3s on my Tahoe and almost never need 4wd.  My local one man tire tech shop (highly experienced) says the trick
with quiet AT3s is to rotate every 3000 miles!  Crazy hut he swears by it.  Another way to go is buy like 4/5 HT3s and two AT3s for up front, or the
equivalent in other brands

John Lebetski
Woodstock, IL
77 Eleganza II

They “look” like they would meet the criteria you stated. Similar tread to Cooper AT3 in that the second and 4th row have sort of trapezoidal blocks. Aggressive but quiet. I have AT3s on my Tahoe and almost never need 4wd. My local one man tire tech shop (highly experienced) says the trick with quiet AT3s is to rotate every 3000 miles! Crazy hut he swears by it. Another way to go is buy like 4/5 HT3s and two AT3s for up front, or the equivalent in other brands -- John Lebetski Woodstock, IL 77 Eleganza II
JR
John R. Lebetski
Wed, Apr 6, 2022 11:28 PM

What I don’t like is they don’t give you tire construction spec (how many poly side wall layers, how many steel belts) if in fact that is the
construction ??  And could not find country of origin. I’m not comfortable with off shore tires on a TZE especially.

John Lebetski
Woodstock, IL
77 Eleganza II

What I don’t like is they don’t give you tire construction spec (how many poly side wall layers, how many steel belts) if in fact that is the construction ?? And could not find country of origin. I’m not comfortable with off shore tires on a TZE especially. -- John Lebetski Woodstock, IL 77 Eleganza II
JK
Jim Kanomata
Wed, Apr 6, 2022 11:29 PM

Always consider if the tires can be covered when your crossing the country.
major brands

On Wed, Apr 6, 2022 at 2:43 PM Mark mark@habcycles.com wrote:

[...]

Jim Kanomata ASE
Applied/GMC, Newark,CA
jimk@appliedairfilters.com
http://www.gmcrvparts.com
1-800-752-7502

Always consider if the tires can be covered when your crossing the country. major brands On Wed, Apr 6, 2022 at 2:43 PM Mark <mark@habcycles.com> wrote: > My Goodyear tires are WAY over-aged out (didn't realize how bad until I > checked them last week - the "new ones" are coming on 9 years old). Yikes. > > I'm looking at all my options, and have seen all the usual suspects > (Firestone Transforce, Cooper, Nokian, etc.). > > Came across these (Pro Comp AT Sport), for the same money. > > https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/pro-comp-a-t-sport/p/26115 > > They're guaranteed for 60,000 miles (that's never gonna happen before they > age out, of course, but is a good sign). They are also guaranteed for life > against defects in material or workmanship, which is great. > > The kicker here is that I've gotten into situations where my coach just > didn't have enough traction, particularly in sandy areas where I've camped > in > Mexico. There are a host of great camping sites in Arizona that have at > least a little dirt road in the approach, and I'm thinking that the extra > traction could only be a good thing. There's no doubt they'd be better in > really wet conditions, too (something that hasn't been an issue, living in > the desert, and hydroplaning on a 12,000 pound coach is not likely anyway > I suppose). > > Every review I've read about them praises them for being really quiet on > the asphalt. I know I just swapped out an old, hard set of Michelins on my > Jeep for a set of BF Goodrich All Terrains, and have to say they're really > amazingly quiet (for an all-terrain tire, but really pretty good for ANY > tire). I'm thinking that the extra mass of the GMC will only help isolate > the inside from any tread-induced noise. > > Six of these, mounted and balanced won't set me back much more than a > grand. Seems like a reasonable idea. > > Thoughts? > > > -- > Mark Hickey > Mesa, AZ > 1978 Royale Center Kitchen > _______________________________________________ > GMCnet mailing list > Unsubscribe or Change List Options: > -- Jim Kanomata ASE Applied/GMC, Newark,CA jimk@appliedairfilters.com http://www.gmcrvparts.com 1-800-752-7502
KD
K2GKK D C_Mac_ Macdonald
Wed, Apr 6, 2022 11:46 PM

Tires on my coach probably have less than 500 miles on them because the engine turns out to have been rather lunched (lower end bearings) from overheating when belts were thrown on my way home from first Shawnee "convention."  Only 30 miles from site to home!  I put new tires on it when I bought it in Texas north of San Antonio.  Still need to replace engine 6 (?) years later but those tires are certainly "aged) out.

Mac Macdonald in OKC, OK

Sent from my iPad

https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.discounttire.com%2Fbuy-tires%2Fpro-comp-a-t-sport%2Fp%2F26115&data=04%7C01%7C%7Cc924cd6fc4a74ce739a608da182565f8%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637848846144327451%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=pufHfEzuUT7GO7sHtNBTiwCF8RZZt8%2FpEkpDUScxgXA%3D&reserved=0

[...]

https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gmcrvparts.com%2F&data=04%7C01%7C%7Cc924cd6fc4a74ce739a608da182565f8%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637848846144327451%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=meiJX7OvRLs%2B31nJHcgyKftvvRrTEvl1TDxDYPU9zi0%3D&reserved=0
1-800-752-7502

GMCnet mailing list
Unsubscribe or Change List Options:

Tires on my coach probably have less than 500 miles on them because the engine turns out to have been rather lunched (lower end bearings) from overheating when belts were thrown on my way home from first Shawnee "convention." Only 30 miles from site to home! I put new tires on it when I bought it in Texas north of San Antonio. Still need to replace engine 6 (?) years later but those tires are certainly "aged) out. Mac Macdonald in OKC, OK Sent from my iPad > On Apr 6, 2022, at 18:30, Jim Kanomata <jimkanomata@gmail.com> wrote: > > Always consider if the tires can be covered when your crossing the country. > major brands > >> On Wed, Apr 6, 2022 at 2:43 PM Mark <mark@habcycles.com> wrote: >> >> My Goodyear tires are WAY over-aged out (didn't realize how bad until I >> checked them last week - the "new ones" are coming on 9 years old). Yikes. >> >> I'm looking at all my options, and have seen all the usual suspects >> (Firestone Transforce, Cooper, Nokian, etc.). >> >> Came across these (Pro Comp AT Sport), for the same money. >> >> https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.discounttire.com%2Fbuy-tires%2Fpro-comp-a-t-sport%2Fp%2F26115&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7Cc924cd6fc4a74ce739a608da182565f8%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637848846144327451%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&amp;sdata=pufHfEzuUT7GO7sHtNBTiwCF8RZZt8%2FpEkpDUScxgXA%3D&amp;reserved=0 >> >> They're guaranteed for 60,000 miles (that's never gonna happen before they >> age out, of course, but is a good sign). They are also guaranteed for life >> against defects in material or workmanship, which is great. >> >> The kicker here is that I've gotten into situations where my coach just >> didn't have enough traction, particularly in sandy areas where I've camped >> in >> Mexico. There are a host of great camping sites in Arizona that have at >> least a little dirt road in the approach, and I'm thinking that the extra >> traction could only be a good thing. There's no doubt they'd be better in >> really wet conditions, too (something that hasn't been an issue, living in >> the desert, and hydroplaning on a 12,000 pound coach is not likely anyway >> I suppose). >> >> Every review I've read about them praises them for being really quiet on >> the asphalt. I know I just swapped out an old, hard set of Michelins on my >> Jeep for a set of BF Goodrich All Terrains, and have to say they're really >> amazingly quiet (for an all-terrain tire, but really pretty good for ANY >> tire). I'm thinking that the extra mass of the GMC will only help isolate >> the inside from any tread-induced noise. >> >> Six of these, mounted and balanced won't set me back much more than a >> grand. Seems like a reasonable idea. >> >> Thoughts? >> >> >> -- >> Mark Hickey >> Mesa, AZ >> 1978 Royale Center Kitchen >> _______________________________________________ >> GMCnet mailing list >> Unsubscribe or Change List Options: >> > > > -- > Jim Kanomata ASE > Applied/GMC, Newark,CA > jimk@appliedairfilters.com > https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gmcrvparts.com%2F&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7Cc924cd6fc4a74ce739a608da182565f8%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637848846144327451%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&amp;sdata=meiJX7OvRLs%2B31nJHcgyKftvvRrTEvl1TDxDYPU9zi0%3D&amp;reserved=0 > 1-800-752-7502 > _______________________________________________ > GMCnet mailing list > Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
JR
Jon Roche
Wed, Apr 6, 2022 11:51 PM

You will find the weight of the front of the gmc will cause faster wear,  but probably will still age out.  I did wear out a set of at tires on my
gmc, so it can happen.

Some say AT tires are too loud, but I find most GMC’s are louder then the tires.

I like my AT’s. I think they significantly help traction.

Jon Roche
75 palm beach
EBL EFI, manny headers, Micro Level, rebuilt most of coach now.
St. Cloud, MN
http://lqqkatjon.blogspot.com/

You will find the weight of the front of the gmc will cause faster wear, but probably will still age out. I did wear out a set of at tires on my gmc, so it can happen. Some say AT tires are too loud, but I find most GMC’s are louder then the tires. I like my AT’s. I think they significantly help traction. -- Jon Roche 75 palm beach EBL EFI, manny headers, Micro Level, rebuilt most of coach now. St. Cloud, MN http://lqqkatjon.blogspot.com/
JR
John R. Lebetski
Thu, Apr 7, 2022 12:05 AM

You have 1 more year on paper. Longer in my opinion. If stored indoors and always properly inflated.  I went 12 years on Michelin LTX with zero issues
and no visible cracking or checking.

John Lebetski
Woodstock, IL
77 Eleganza II

You have 1 more year on paper. Longer in my opinion. If stored indoors and always properly inflated. I went 12 years on Michelin LTX with zero issues and no visible cracking or checking. -- John Lebetski Woodstock, IL 77 Eleganza II
CJV
Thu, Apr 7, 2022 2:44 AM

Looks like a good buy. Are they available in load Range E? I didn't see the load range spec on the spec sheet. (or didn't recognize it)

CJ Vermeulen, Scribbler

[...]

Looks like a good buy. Are they available in load Range E? I didn't see the load range spec on the spec sheet. (or didn't recognize it) CJ Vermeulen, Scribbler From: "Mark" <mark@habcycles.com> To: "gmclist" <gmclist@list.gmcnet.org> Sent: Wednesday, April 6, 2022 4:43:29 PM Subject: [GMCnet] Considering all-terrain tires (Pro Comp) My Goodyear tires are WAY over-aged out (didn't realize how bad until I checked them last week - the "new ones" are coming on 9 years old). Yikes. I'm looking at all my options, and have seen all the usual suspects (Firestone Transforce, Cooper, Nokian, etc.). Came across these (Pro Comp AT Sport), for the same money. https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/pro-comp-a-t-sport/p/26115 They're guaranteed for 60,000 miles (that's never gonna happen before they age out, of course, but is a good sign). They are also guaranteed for life against defects in material or workmanship, which is great. The kicker here is that I've gotten into situations where my coach just didn't have enough traction, particularly in sandy areas where I've camped in Mexico. There are a host of great camping sites in Arizona that have at least a little dirt road in the approach, and I'm thinking that the extra traction could only be a good thing. There's no doubt they'd be better in really wet conditions, too (something that hasn't been an issue, living in the desert, and hydroplaning on a 12,000 pound coach is not likely anyway I suppose). Every review I've read about them praises them for being really quiet on the asphalt. I know I just swapped out an old, hard set of Michelins on my Jeep for a set of BF Goodrich All Terrains, and have to say they're really amazingly quiet (for an all-terrain tire, but really pretty good for ANY tire). I'm thinking that the extra mass of the GMC will only help isolate the inside from any tread-induced noise. Six of these, mounted and balanced won't set me back much more than a grand. Seems like a reasonable idea. Thoughts? -- Mark Hickey Mesa, AZ 1978 Royale Center Kitchen _______________________________________________ GMCnet mailing list Unsubscribe or Change List Options:
CS
Carl Stouffer
Thu, Apr 7, 2022 2:51 AM

Mark,

As you know, I run 16" X 8" Dodge truck wheels on the front of my coach and have run WAY more agresive tires on them.  The first two sets were B F
Goodrich All Terrain KOs in a 255/70 R 16 LR-E.  I never was bothered by noise, even with those.  They also wore out in about 15,000 miles, I'm
guessing due to the combination of the agresive tread, the weight, the fact that they are the drive tires, and the limited slip final drive.

I since have switched to Cooper AT-3 245/70R16 LR-E tires.  Again, no complaints about tire noise, and these are closer to the diameter of the
225/75s.  They have worn better than the BFGs and I got a bit over 16,000 miles out of the first set.

I have looked at those Pro-Comp tires and they look pretty good to me, plus the price seems to be right.  The advantage to having the same size/type
of tires all the way around is that you can rotate them, something that is not possible with my set-up.

Carl Stouffer
'75 ex Palm Beach
Tucson, AZ.
Chuck Aulgur Reaction Arm Disc Brakes, Quadrabags, 3.70 LSD final drive, Lenzi knuckles/hubs, Dodge Truck 16" X 8" front wheels, Rear American Eagles,
Solar battery charging.  GMCSJ and GMCMI member

[...]
Thu, Apr 7, 2022 5:40 AM

CJV wrote on Wed, 06 April 2022 19:44

Looks like a good buy. Are they available in load Range E? I didn't see the load range spec on the spec sheet. (or didn't recognize it)

The industry has several different ways of defining load range.  The "E" range pretty much corresponds to the 115 load range of the Pro Comp TA
tires.

Here's a link to some discussion on the subject (I prefer the numeric approach, since it gives me "load per tire", which appeals to my engineering
side).  https://www.discounttire.com/learn/load-range-load-index

Mark Hickey
Mesa, AZ
1978 Royale Center Kitchen

CJV wrote on Wed, 06 April 2022 19:44 > Looks like a good buy. Are they available in load Range E? I didn't see the load range spec on the spec sheet. (or didn't recognize it) The industry has several different ways of defining load range. The "E" range pretty much corresponds to the 115 load range of the Pro Comp TA tires. Here's a link to some discussion on the subject (I prefer the numeric approach, since it gives me "load per tire", which appeals to my engineering side). https://www.discounttire.com/learn/load-range-load-index -- Mark Hickey Mesa, AZ 1978 Royale Center Kitchen